Graphene, a Nobel Prize-winning nanomaterial, is both the strongest and the lightest material known. Graphene is a two-dimensional crystal only an atom thick.
The material excels in numerous features:
- Conducts electricity better than copper.
- It is 200 times stronger than steel but six times lighter.
- It is almost perfectly transparent since it only absorbs 2% of light.
- Has an incredible surface area of over 2500 m2 per gram.
- It is waterproof.
- It impermeable to gases, even those as light as hydrogen or helium.
- Chemical components can be added to its surface to alter its properties.